Sunday, January 27, 2013

To The Moon

I just watched the game play of To The Moon by Pewdiepie and oh God! T^T It's just so tragic and so unfortunate and so.. I don't know how to explain this. This is one of the BEST story lines of games I've ever seen! Truly! *sobs*

The whole love story between River and John is just so sad. How John was called 'Joey' by his mother due to his deceased twin brother, how River kept making those paper bunnies and even cut her hair.. ALL THESE JUST TO REMIND JOHN OF THEIR FIRST MEETING. THEIR FIRST ENCOUNTER!! :(

The story plot of this game is pretty simple actually. It's just that there is this organization that can fulfill dead people's wishes by editing their memories. Sort of like fulfilling their last wishes. In the game, we focus on these two characters Dr. Watts and Dr. Eva specifically. So one day they received a call to fulfill this old man wish and his wish is just this: I wanna go to the moon.

Since the patient is unconscious, there was no way of asking him why. It was vital to ask him why in order to know how or where to edit his memories. What they will do is basically send the desire throughout his memories so that the desire will motivate him to eventually take a trip to the Moon.

What's sad about the story?

John didn't know why he wanted to go to the Moon. He forgot the reason. All cause of the bloody beta blockers.. T^T

Damn it. I'm gonna cry.The thing is this, John had a twin brother named Joey. He died when he ran behind their family car just as his mother was reversing the car. He died. John saw it and his mother then gave him 'beta blockers' that made his memories fuzzy so that he won't be too traumatized by it. It just so happens that before this car accident, John and Joey would always go to the carnival held near their house and it was in this carnival that he met River, his future wife...

John climbed up the mountain and was sitting on a bench on a cliff's edge. At there, he met River who ran away upon seeing him.

John: "...Hello!"

River: "..."

*River runs away*

John: "Wait, don't go!"

*River stops in her tracks*

John: "I'm Johnny.. What's your name?"
 
River: "...You're at my spot."

John: "Your spot?"

*a few moments of silence*

John: "Oh! I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hog this place all to myself."

-silence-

John: "Um, you wanna join me?"

River: "... Are you here to watch the stars?"

John: "Are you?"

*both goes to sit on the bench John was sitting on earlier*



 John: "Just look at 'em... Did you know there were so many lights in the sky?"

River: "Yes."

John: "Oh... Uh, I did too."

*pause of silence*

John: "You said this was your spot right?"

River: "Only during the carnival."

John: "Not a fan of the crowds?"

River: "..."

John: "... Me neither."

River: "..."

John: "Y'know, you still haven't told me your name yet."

River: "I'm not telling you. Everyone makes fun of it in school."

John: "Why?"

River: "They say it makes them want to go to the washroom."

John: "Uh... Okay, then. Well, it can't be worse than being named 'John'. I mean everywhere in the world, nearly everyone's named John!"
 
River: "Even in India?"

John: "Probably!"

River: "... What's wrong with that?"

John: "Hm?"

River: "What's wrong with having a name that everyone has?"

John: "Well... It's boring, I guess. I mean, if everyone has it, then what's the point?"

River: "I wouldn't mind. Just for once... To have the same name everyone else has. It's like those lights in the sky. They all look the same from here but that doesn't make them look any less pretty."

John: "Eh, I suppose... What do you think those stars are up there are anyways?"

River: "My dad said they're giant burning spheres of gas."

John: "Oh. I bet he's just making it up."

River: "Why would he lie to me?"

John: "Because, y'know, that's what grown ups do. They make things up. Santa, Easter Bunny, kangaroos... ... stuff like that."

River: "Have you... ever made an Easter Bunny out of stars?"

John: "Like a constellation, yes?"

River: "Yes."

John: "Um, of other things... Never tried a rabbit though."

River: "... Do you want to make one?"

John: "Yeah, we'll make the bestest constellation ever! Let's see who makes one out first."

John: "Okay. We'll start in three. Three, two, one, annndd st-"

River: "I see it."

John: "Er... Where?"

River: "In the sky."

John: "Um, but where in the sky?"

River: "Think big."

John: "Eh..."

River: "Bigger than all the others."

John: "... I don't know."

John: "... Wait a minute. Wait a minute!! ... I SEE IT!!!"

River: "Tell me what you see."

John: *points to the Moon* "There, right?? There're the two ears and head!"

River: "What else?"

John: "And there... There're its two feet!"

River: "Yes, what else?"

John: "And... And the moon. The moon is its big round belly!!"

*few moments later*


John: "So.. what do you think they really are? The stars, I mean."

River: "I... I've never told anyone but... I've always thought they were lighthouses. Billions of lighthouses... stuck at the far end of the sky."

John: "Wow. It must be so lively up there."

River: "But it isn't. They can see all the other light houses out there, and they want to talk to them, but they can't, because they are all far too apart to hear what the others are saying. All they can do is... shine their lights from afar... So that's what they do. They shine their lights at the other light houses and, at me."

John: "Why you?"

River: "Because one day... I am going to befriend one of them. That bag... what's in it?"

John: "Oh. It's the prize I won from whack-a-mole. Did you get to play that game?"

River: "I tried... but I'm too clumsy. What did you get from it?"

John: "I got a... thing. I don't really know what it is. It's some kind of a weird duck... beaver thing."

River: "... May I see it?"

*John hands it to River*

River: ".. It looks so strange... I wish I could win one myself."

"JOHNNNY?"

John: "Eek. That's ma calling."

River: "... Here."

John: "... You know what... keep it, it's yours."

River: "Mine?"

John: "Yeah, I can always get another. I don't like to brag but I'm totally the best at that game."

River: "... Will you be here next year?"

John: "Yup. Will you?"

River: "Yes."

John: "Same place, same time?"

River: "Yes. ... What if you forget.. or get lost?"

John: "Then we can always regroup on the moon, silly! ... Right on the rabbit's tummy!"

"JOHNNY!"

John: "Coming!! ... Oh yeah! I forgot my hacky sack in the bag. You said you're clumsy right? Maybe it'll help."

And so like that, John leaves River and goes back to his mother. Some time later, John's twin brother Joey gets run over by the car and they stopped going back to the carnival. John is given beta blockers that make his memories disjointed and in this case, forget totally about this memory.

John meets River later on in high school and dates River. River has Asperger's disease and so is socially awkward. She tried to trigger John's memories of their first encounter by folding origami rabbits all the time and asking John what does he see when he sees the origami rabbits. John never did get it. 

Few years passed, River died. John is on his way to death. He hires these two doctors from that organisation to fulfill his wish.

"I want to go to the moon." John stated.

"Why?" Dr. Eva and Dr. Watson asked.

John seemed puzzled.

"I don't know why." he finally uttered. "I just want to."

Cause even though the brain doesn't remember, the heart does. This is true love peeps. :')




River: "...你明年还会来这里吗?"

John: "恩。你呢?"

River: "恩。"

John: "那我们就约在同样的时间,在同样的地点?"

River: "好啊! 可是.. 如果你忘了,还是你迷路了,那我该怎么办?"

John: "傻瓜! 我们还可以在月亮上相聚啊 ... 就在那兔子的肚子上面!"

 



No comments:

Post a Comment