Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Papo & Yo


Wasn't really expecting much of this game. To be honest, the only reason why I watched this game was because Cryaotic took only 5 parts to complete this game and I wanted to watch a short game, but wow... I am stunned shitless. The game is just... WOW.

The gameplay isn't fantastic. The graphics isn't the best, but the storyline is just, hell. Man. I didn't expect the game to be so deep man. I thought it was all about a kid running away from the monster but no, it isn't just that. It's just... omg.

The person who created this game used this game as a creative interpretation of a child trying to run away from an alcoholic and abusive father. Monster was his father in his imagination and when 'Monster' ate multicolored gigantic frogs which was actually alcohol in reality, he would turn into a rage filled and hateful 'Monster'. (like the one below)



It's so heartbreaking even for someone like me cause throughout the whole game, you get to see the boy's imaginary friends warning him of 'Monster' and the harm it will bring him if he refuses to let go of it. Then, it comes to the point whereby 'Monster' injures his friends gravely and even ate them up such that they're gone forever. It was subtle but kind of obvious at the same time what his subconscious was trying to warn him.

Then, the final scene came...

All along, the boy was trying to bring 'Monster' to a Shaman for the Shaman to heal him and bring him back to normal but at that final act was when the boy realised that there was no Shaman present in the first place.

"There is no Shaman here, only forgotten memories."

The boy tried so hard to remember the good in his father he forgot all the bad memories and abuse his father actually did to him. No. He didn't forget. He WANTED to but deep down, he didn't. That's what all the subconscious thing is all about. He couldn't forget.

The last part was seriously heart breaking.

"You can't save Monster. You can only let him go."

And he did that. He lured 'Monster' into a trap and pushed it off a cliff...

.....

Game's so fucking deep man lol. Cry was being totally emotional since his father practically did the same shit to him so to quote Cry he said, "The game just felt so surreal." Read subsequent comments and all were commenting how much the gameplay helped them to deal with their own personal situations so much. You know, it is then that I really realised the importance of games in our lives. It is to help us understand ourselves and help us deal with our lives.




People sometimes forget we all deal with life experiences in different ways. Some people rather talk about it, some people rather shut it out, and some people have to find Catarsis in one way or another to realize how strong they truly where in certain life experiences. I think this is a really beautiful game representation of that, (for me it was Cat Lady and Alice in Madness) the ending might have been a little intense (specially the tons of kids part) but i think it gives you another perspective of your own experiences, and hopefully you know how strong you are Mr. Cry in dealing with your demons :)  . Thanks as always for your time :D 



She summarised whatever I want to talk about games lol. For me, the game was Cat Lady too. That game really struck a chord within me. I remember feeling really depressed while I was watching the game play but after the whole game, it was like something was released within me. It felt like I was finally free...

Si En, if you're gonna design a game in the future, please design something like this lol. A game that not only tantalizes the player's senses but helps the player deals with issues in life or change a player's perceptions. What's a game if it doesn't impact people right? :D

Papo and Yo is really good though. #justsaying.

EVERYONE, GO WATCH IT! ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment